Skip to main content

Wisdom on: being alive is a grand thing

I love collecting quotes. My own thoughts, when they come in the shape of quips of other people's wisdom, seem more fully formed.

I'm hoping to renew my old habit of collecting quotes in a series called Wisdom on: in which I pair quotes that resonate with me with pictures that are inspired by the words. In keeping with the spirit of the blog, I'm trying to feature European crafters and artists.

Here's my quote for this week:
 
"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly despairing, acutely miserable, tacked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing."

Agatha Christie - An Autobiography

Nursery art by Cassia Beck on Etsy :: Being alive is a grand thing (Agatha Christie)
Nursery art by CassiaBeck

Another Wisdom on: the unfounded fear of being childish.

Popular posts from this blog

How to make paper snowflakes

Early in our relationship, my partner and I decided to get a Christmas ornament each year. We don't like buying the Christmas ornaments that you find in stores. It seems to me that all the collections available are cheaply made in China. The glitter is more in the box than on the baubles, Santa's eyes are drawn on his forehead and angels have dubious things hanging from their backs, that definitely don't look like wings. We like to buy from small businesses or independent vendors at craft shows or online, but we're also learning how to make Christmas ornaments from scratch. Making a paper snowflake was a simple and fun project done while we were watching TV. I remember doing this paper project when I was in kindergarten, so it really is easy. The most difficult part might be picking the right book to butcher, if you choose to use book pages instead of regular paper. I did, so I picked Jerry Seinfeld's Seinlanguage . Jerry wouldn't mind, and all

On starting over, in a place of my own

  A lot has happened since I last wrote here, 5 years ago. A lot of good things, too! But somehow the biggest internal transformation in my life was to turn this online writing into a profession. Into the only way to make my living.  It had its highs (which were really high), and its lows (which were, predictably, really low). And now I'm settled into a pattern in which I write for much of the week, for much of the month, about things that other people pay me to write about. It's nice to make a living on your own terms. But it's also emotionally exhausting to turn a creative hobby into a job.   But the side-effect, the only side-effect that keeps my head spinning, is not having anything to enjoy at the end of the day. Feeling like a keyboard monkey is an understatement. In a year when I thought understatements are no longer possible.  So I'm back here, in this little corner of the internet, where nobody reads (the relief), and people don't know my name (the relief).