Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What is European Beautiful?


What is Mod Podge? Where can I get Washi tape? What is a Sharpie? Where is the nearest West Elm? Why is everybody into chevron?

These were but a few questions I had when I started reading about design and DIY. That feels as if it was a million blogs ago.

You see, in my European corner of the universe, a Sharpie was called a permanent marker and Anthropologie was just a field of study. Probably 90% of the blogs I was reading originated in the United States. Their writers were sharing tips about Dollar Store crafts, giveaways open to U.S. Residents only and an obsession with Target that I could neither understand nor relate to.

It seemed that my blog reads were all coming from a magical kingdom at the intersection of New York and San Francisco, with a few streets of Toronto and Chicago thrown in for good measure. The writers in this kingdom were all amazingly talented people, but I wanted something closer to my own heart. Sure, there was some Paris and London in there, but that was about it.

I frantically combed through blogrolls and link parties. I stalked link ups like it was my job. I opened 20 tabs and crashed Mozilla like there was no tomorrow. Alas, it was all in vain.

So I set out to create something that I couldn't find myself. My objective is to discover and showcase European bloggers, crafters and artists.

I want to answer a few questions. What are European crafters creating? What is their creative process? Where do they find inspiration? What preceded their art?

Stick around, let's explore and find out together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Please keep it civil and constructive!